Day 43 - New Yankee's Stadium

                    
 #29 Go to a game at the new Yankee Stadium - DONE! A very VERY big shout-out to Jim for this cross-off. Couple weeks ago Jim offered to help me out with the list and take me to game one of the Yankee series with the New York Mets. Now, not only was this going to be my first game at the new stadium, but it was also going to be my first Yankees/Mets game....so needles to say I was THRILLED. 

A couple days before the game Jim says "Ok, here is the deal: I am going to be flying in from CA that day. It's a 7:00 game, so it should not be a problem, but I want you to hold onto the tickets just in case." Well, I bet you can guess where this story is going, Jim's flight gets delayed and is not going to make the game. 

So, in Jim's absence I had to find someone else to go to the game. I figured Jim was so kind in helping me with my list, the least I could do was to "pay it forward" and help someone else with theirs. As I mentioned in a previous posting, Erik is my close friend from college who got me hooked on the "101 in 1001" idea. Ok, close friend may be an understatement, we are basically the same personalities separated in two different bodies. 

The game itself could not have been more exciting. First of all our seats were in the bleachers, which was awesome. You want to have a good time at a Yankee game, sit with those die-hard bleacher creatures, haha. We saw 6 lead changes and 5 home runs, for of which from the Yankees : )

But nothing beat the end of the game. With two outs, runners at first and second and the Mets ahead by a run in the ninth, A-Rod hits a pop-up to Castillo. Rodriguez, as well as whole stadium knew what it meant — game over. But a game ain’t over till it’s over. Castillo drifted back for the ball, got into position, and somehow let it squirt from his glove. It fell safely to the ground, and Derek Jeter scored easily. Castillo might have had a shot to get Mark Teixeira at the plate, but for some reason he fired the ball to second, not home. Teixeira scored and the Yankees bounced giddily on the grass, winners by 9-8. Please, watch this video.

Thank you Jim and Erik for an unforgettable first game and the New Stadium. And congratulations to Erik for continuing you undefeated 4-0 streak of Yankee games on your list!



0 comments: